Wednesday 7 March 2012

Kony and the other worldwide atrocities...

Yes this is blogpost about Kony. But it's also a blogpost about listening to both sides of the argument, and about not forgetting about all the other atrocities which are happening in the world at the moment.


So for the past couple of days Twitter has been awash with the hashtag #Kony2012. And I was confused. Until about an hour ago when I finally watched the video made by the Invisible Children company.



It's quite long for a YouTube video but it is worth a watch.

I was shocked by what I saw. I already knew about the situation in Uganda but the video really does start tugging at your heart strings. And I may have cried a little. But most of all it made me want to spread the message, so I did via Twitter and Facebook.

And then I started seeing links to objections to the Kony 2012 campaign. Now I should stress here that all the objections were to the campaign and the company behind it, not to the idea of raising awareness. Here are the links:




Now I don't know enough about the company to pass judgement, and I'm always wary about the evidence you find on the internet. The picture of the founders with the guns could have been taken completely out of context. I don't know. But what I do think is important is that everybody has access to all the information about a situation/campaign so they can come to their own decision. And that is what this is.

Personally I'm not going to donate any money, mainly because I haven't got anything at all to donate. But I do think it's important that we raise awareness of the situation with Kony in the hope that the governments of the world start paying attention to what the people want.

But we can't forget about the other atrocities that are happening all over the world at the moment which could benefit from our voices to raise awareness. Let's not let one very well planned campaign make us forget about the situation in Syria and the destruction of the NHS.

We are living in a world which is constantly moving and changing, and the internet has given us a platform where we can make our voices - the voices of the ordinary people - heard. And we shouldn't abuse that. So yes, let's raise awareness about Kony, let's keep raising money for the drought in the Horn of Africa, let's let David Cameron know exactly what we think about the Healthcare Bill, let's keep recyling to stop global warming. And let's keep those objectives at the forefront of our arguements. It isn't about the companies or the campaigns or the compromising photos. It's about raising awareness and trying to make a difference to the world, for us and for future generations. 

5 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm totally out of the loop with like, current affairs and, well, LIFE, but your last two posts have been really great :). Wholeheartedly agree with your final sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the KONY 2012 Campaign is an effective one yet we can't deny the fact that there are people who will oppose it same with people that will agree with it. People have different perspectives. And I agree that we are living in a world which is constantly moving and changing. There are various worldwide atrocities, not just the KONY issue but many more. KONY 2012 just tells us that we must be vigilant about the world's issues and problems. :)

    Thanks for the share,
    Peny@medical scrubs uniforms

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I'm quite confused what to make of the whole Kony thing as well, I've actually avoided watching the video and looked up facts on it instead (because by the time I started seeing it all on Fb thre was already people critising it and I felt an emotive video might be convince me the wrong way and instead to look at facts on both sides of the arguement) But actuallly I'm still just confused about it all anyway lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiii! I can't comment on Kony as I just stayed away from it once it went viral, assuming that it had clearly raised all the awareness it needed. But yeah, I agree with the sentiment of making people notice, and not forgetting the small things that are close to home. :) Tend to stick more to the small stuff like homeless charities though, lol, becasue big politics is beyond me!

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments :)