Saturday 12 January 2013

Completeness through art...


I went to the theatre today, spontaneously. I left my flat around 2ish with a heavy heart to go to the Post Office. I'm been feeling low recently and I didn't want to leave my room but when I did I didn't want to go back. I wanted an adventure. I wanted to drive until I ran out of road. Not for the first time I contemplated just disappearing, taking the ferry and driving on through Europe. I settled for spontaneity instead. I rang to RSC, confirmed they had tickets for tonight and drove down to Stratford Upon Avon where I saw Boris Gudonov. 

I feel wonderful now, better than I have all week. 

I love the theatre. It makes me feel…happy isn’t the right word, although I do feel happy after. Very happy. Theatre makes me feel satisfied, whole. Complete. It’s similar to when I come out of a good film at the cinema but with the theatre the feeling is more mellow, more rounded. Like a matured wine, I suppose. It’s different again with books. With books I feel higher. The same emotions as with theatre or film but I feel like I’m airborne, singing soprano. 

Books lift me, theatre holds me.

All three make me want to write. To create worlds I can get lost in, worlds I can help others escape into by escaping into them myself. 

They make me feel like I belong. 

Complete. 

Whole. 

Happy. 

There's nothing else in my life that makes me feel like that. I think that's why I'm so reluctant to give up that part of myself, why I'm so eager to make them my whole life. 

1 comment:

  1. I love it, you did something entirely for your own enjoyment and it worked! No reason that you should give up that part of your life, who knows, you could end up pursuing it in future. If you know what lifts you up, don't hold back on it. Consume books/theatre with all the spare time you get. It's the simple things that get me through- chilled pepsi, old books that I know inside out now, a cup of tea, planning my hypothetical Trip Around the World :P
    Do you know, I've never actually been to see a play, it's a serious dream of mine. Just one Shakespeare tragedy, seriously!
    So..never heard of Boris Gudonov..I shall look it up!
    Anyway, glad to hear you found something that lifted your spirits :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments :)